St Marks church Zagreb, St Marks church Zagreb, St Marks church Zagreb, St Marks church Zagreb
St. Mark’s church is located at the St. Mark’s square in the upper part of Zagreb. It serves as a parish church. The church is one of the oldest standing buildings in Zagreb, having been built in the mid 13th century. However, the church has been significantly remodeled in the later parts of the 14th century compared to how it looked originally. The church itself is built in a three-nave style and it’s listed as a protected cultural heritage site of Croatia.
The appearance it has today dates back to the year 1876 when the Viennese restaurateur of Gothic buildings Friedrich von Schmidt made plans for the reconstruction. The church was in need of restoration due to numerous earthquakes and fires that impacted the upper town of Zagreb. The neo-gothic restoration was supervised by the famous Croatian architect Herman Bolle. The roof of the church was re-tiled and rebuilt so that it features the Coat of arms of Zagreb and the Coat of arms of Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Dalmatia, and Slavonia. This is the most famous and most striking part of the church, and one of the first images that come to mind when talking about Zagreb and Croatia.
The church is also famous for its gothic portals. The most renowned one being the Southern portal that features fifteen effigies. Those effigies are placed in eleven niches. The portal features statues of St Mark and a lion, statues of the Holy Family, and the statues of the twelve apostles. The portal is thought off as one of the most advanced artistic portals in Southeastern Europe.
Throughout the years the church and the square have seen a lot of important historical events in the Croatian history. One of the most notable ones was the ”crowning” of Matija Gubec. Gubec is a folk hero in Croatian history thanks to his role in the peasant rebellion that happened in the northern Croatia and parts of Slovenia during the later parts of the 16th century. Once the rebellion was squashed, Gubec was captured, he was crowned with a red-hot iron crown at the St Mark’s square, dragged through the streets and quartered at the end of his ordeal.
Other notable buildings that are located at the St. Mark’s square and near St. Mark’s church are the Banski Dvori, Croatian Parliament, and the Old City Hall.
Banski Dvori is a building that dates back to the early 19th century. It constitutes from two separate palaces, which served as the seat of Croatian Bans. Right now it is used as the seat of the Croatian government.
Croatian Parliament is a building that dates back to 1731. Up until then, the Croatian Parliament didn’t have a permanent location. The Parliament bought a house on St. Mark’s square. That house burned down that same year and upon its location, a new Parliament house was built. When it was built, it was the biggest – and at the time only – baroque palace in the upper town of Zagreb. In the early days, both the County council of Zagreb and the Parliment were housed in that palace, but in the early 20th century it became clear that the two can’t co-exist at the same location. Due to that, the Royal government of Croatia decided to buy the one-story buildings in the Kamenita, Opatička, and Županijska streets at St. Mark’s square near St. Mark’s church and issued a project for a single fore-front palace on their locations. The unification was completed in 1911 when the building was handed to the Croatian Parliament for use.
The Old City Hall is a complex of three adjacent buildings that were joined together in the later parts of the 19th century. Since then the building has served as Zagreb’s City Hall.
You might also find the following links useful: